Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Another Miracle!

As you can imagine, I haven't had a whole lot of time for blogging lately. The boys, the house, the laundry and the visitors have kept me pretty busy, too! And let's face it, no one likes to type with one hand either! Sorry it's late, but, as promised, here's the story:

Friday, June 4th was just another Friday. I was off work and headed to the OB for my 38 week appointment. Everything was fine, Ronan's heart rate was good and I was feeling great. I talked to Dr. Shonekan about our family situation and how terrified I was that Noah would not make it here for the birth. (I so badly wanted to have Ronan on a Friday in order to have Noah here and to maximize our time with him before he had to return to work in VA.) So, she informed me that she could not induce me unless medically necessary until after my due date (which was June 16), but she could strip my membranes and "see what happens." So she did and sent me on my merry way with an appointment to be induced Friday, June 18th if Ronan didn't come by then.

Without going into too much detail about what happened next, there was blood and I was at L&D by 12:30pm. (only 2 hours after leaving the OB's office). I had called Noah on my way to the hospital and he was on his way immediately. Upon examination, I was declared 4cm dilated! WooHoo! At this point, I was considered in active labor therefore, even if labor slowed, Dr. Shonekan had a medical reason to "help me along." (btw, it turned out that the blood was not a concern).

Noah arrived by 3:30, I think, but the exact timetable is a bit of a blur. Around 6pm, I was only 5cm and my contractions had slowed, so my Dr. was called and pitocin and epidural were ordered. At 8pm I was given my epidural and a pitocin drip. I was checked at 10:30pm and was 7cm, then at 3:30 and again at 5am.....still only 7cm. My "water" was broken at 8:35am and Ronan was born at 9:55am. It took 3 pushes. As soon as his shoulders were out, Dr Shonekan asked if I wanted to deliver him and, without hesitating, I reached down and grabbed my little boy bringing him up to my chest! It was so beautiful! I cried and smiled....and cried some more!

He was perfect and, aside from being VERY sleepy, he latched on and took to breastfeeding right away! We were discharged from the hospital the following day!

Now he is 5 1/2 weeks old and THRIVING!!!! He had his 1 month check-up last Wednesday and is strong, healthy and in the 75th percentile for height and weight despite losing 11oz before leaving the hospital!

Both boys are doing great! We are SO THANKFUL for our two most beautiful blessings!!!









- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:45 AM

    Patricia,

    How amazing that you delivered Ronan yourself!!!

    Jesus is soo kind to make everything work out smoothly in the most critical places and to see you through the dangers.

    Thank you for coming to play group! Please let me know what locations you prefer.

    I hope we continue to see you often!

    Love,
    Corina

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thank you!